Paper

Hi,

Just adding link to this paper about issues we have in managing open access.

http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/97107/

 

Hydra case study for E2EOA metadata profile

A significant outcome of the Jisc funded E2EOA project’s September workshop is the metadata profile/specification for Open Access. The key idea for this metadata profile is that it supersedes any system related profiles. Instead it provides a comprehensive starting point from where you can adopt the profile to your liking in the system of your choice. The metadata profile is crowd sourced for larger consultation and can be viewed at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ViOQj5Cj9mlkFCTjCMjtAA6pELEM9s_82IGfSJF5lv0/edit

The metadata profile is also currently being looked at by CASRAI for possible adoption as a standard.

One of the project deliverables is a case study on ‘Capturing and Reporting Open Access Metadata in Hydra’, which will describe the applicability of the metadata profile in Hydra, providing a basis for interoperability with other similar systems. This links closely with the Work Package 4 (WP4) of another Jisc funded project titled HHuloa led by University of Hull. The WP4 of HHuloa project outlines ‘to enhance local systems to serve OA needs’ and part of this would involve implementing the metadata profile within Hydra.

At Lancaster University, we have been working with the base HyHull code (the Hydra base code used by University of Hull) and adopting it to support various needs of Lancaster University including implementation of the OA metadata profile that has been generated as part of the E2EOA project. Currently we are reviewing the Journal Article output type (to start with) and updating this particular output type to include the fields from the metadata profile. Most of the work on this will be done in the next couple of months, and will be kickstarted by a Hydra UK hackathon in early January. The hackathon will be hosted at University of York where members of both E2EOA and HHuloa project will come together and work together on various aspects. As part of the Hydra UK user group, we will also disseminate our progress and work to the wider Hydra community in addition to the Pathfinder community.

An initial discussion on how we proceed forward on Hydra work will be happening between myself and Chris Awre (HHuloa project) later today at the Open Access Good Practice Pathfinder projects meeting. This will make sure that we can maximise the benefits of Jisc funding on both projects.

Useful Open Access Metadata Chat

On tuesday I met with some colleagues from different stakeholders in the Open Access area.

I gave an overview of the E2E and CASRAI work on open access metadata standards and encouraged engagement with this to shape it together rather than reinvent lots of wheels. http://jisccasraipilot.jiscinvolve.org/wp/

I do hope the draft profile will be available soon but in the meantime I have updated the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ViOQj5Cj9mlkFCTjCMjtAA6pELEM9s_82IGfSJF5lv0/edit

Open Access and the REF: Issues and Potential Solutions

The next E2E workshop will be taking place on January 12th at Brettenham House in London. The theme of the event will be  metadata requirements, processes, evidence and related issues for the next REF.

We were overwhelmed with how well received the event proved to be, with all places being booked up in less than 2 days! This just goes to show how important this issue is currently in our sector.

The agenda for the day is looking excellent, with the morning centered around 2 talks; the first by Ben Johnson from HEFCE and the second by David Baker from CASRAI. Then after a quick coffee break we move on to an afternoon of workshops, where there’ll be plenty of opportunity for discussion and working together, hopefully towards some solutions but certainly towards some next steps. Of course, we’ll also fit lunch in around there somewhere!

We look forward to seeing everyone at the event!

For the full info and agenda, please see the event page.

Joining up Communities

Last week I was asked to talk about Open Access and research support at Scottish Confederation of University and Research Libraries (SCURL) event.

http://scurl.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/SCURL121114Programme.pdf

It was heartwarming to hear many common messages e.g.

  • It is OK to do things in different ways
  • Initiatives should generally take a functional approach not an organisational unit approach (e.g. it is about open access, impact, not about the library or finance office specifically)
  • What do customers want?

CASRAI-UK was not known in this group so I spread the word about the work being done on standards and offered to link them into future communications on standardising open access metadata.

Presentations are available at http://scurl.ac.uk/what-we-do/publications/scurl-presentations/

HEFCE OA Policy Workshop 26/09/14

This workshop reinforced a number of the key concerns and suggestions from our workshop on 5th September particularly:

Need to:

  • Standardise terminology around open access
  • Have clearer information on open access policies of publishers
  • Standardise metadata for open access

The last of these 3 is the key aspect that E2E is currently focussing on.

http://openaccess.jiscinvolve.org/wp/2014/10/14/hefce-oa-policy-workshop-26th-september-2014-key-recommendations/

Comprehensive Metadata Profile for Open Access

We have been updating our spreadsheet of ‘all the possible fields we might need for Open Access’ and we hope to formalise this via CASRAI-UK with whom I am in discussion via my role as co-chair of the UK Open Access working group.

We will try to issue a next draft as soon as possible so that people can ask for further clarification, provide corrections etc.  It will be an iterative process as new requirments emerge e.g. REF open access reporting requirements are due to be announced soon and we also want to consider linkages beyond open access e.g. with recommendations of the UKRISS report around data to collect for publications.

https://ukriss.cerch.kcl.ac.uk/ukriss-final-report-released/

Open Access

I was at a meeting yesterday with reps from UK HEI’s and publishers and was asked to give an overview of Open Access reporting requirements in less than 5 mins so here is my informal recording:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1HYC8oSHJM_53GIy3gC_8R9NL-kBDWacDQpQa6z98Peo/edit?usp=sharing

I’m looking forward to the report from the meeting which came up with many of the actions  that were suggested at our workshop last month.  I will do my best to make sure we don’t duplicate effort but instead share out the work required to make best use of resources available.

More to follow on this soon.

Open Access Reports to RCUK – Collected Here

Here is a link to a collection of the recently returned Open Access reports to RCUK.

Looking forward to hearing back from the review.  I am sure it is not an easy job to make sense of all the apples and pears.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AOgdjqb0iQ7kW4CAo7lxwgeunibS5-BnfZEj_Dzd954/edit

RCUK OA Compliance – Southampton data

The underlying data to support Southampton’s RCUK OA Compliance return is now available on ePrints:
doi:10.5258/SOTON/369449

Our reports are also available in ePrints and now include a link to the underlying data:
University of Southampton RCUK Policy on Open Access: compliance monitoring

University of Southampton RCUK Policy on Open Access: call for evidence